Enjoy an early morning hotel pickup to drive south to the Nabatean Red Rose City of Petra, one of the Seven Wonders of the World. As you travel, gaze at the desert landscapes and hear tales of Jordan’s history. Hewn into a sandstone valley carved by the Nabataean people some 2000 years ago, this ancient rose-red rock city, located 245 kilometers from Amman at the crossroads of age-old trading routes, dominated ancient Arabia.
Pass by Little Petra, a small rocky valley with carvings that archaeologists believe acted as the Nabatean’s caravan, before heading to the main city. Continue to Petra to learn more about its magnificent history. On arrival, enjoy a 2 hour tour of this UNESCO World Heritage listed wonder with a local guide. First, walk or ride a horse through the famous 'siq', a narrow path of 1.2 kilometers, and a rock fissure that was once the main entrance to the city. Marvel at your first glimpse of the hauntingly beautiful Treasury 'El Khazneh' as the canyon suddenly opens up. Then, walk through the widening canyon to see the 3000-seat Theater, the Royal Tombs, and the High Place of Sacrifice: a clifftop altar that was once used for animal sacrifices and other ceremonies. As you explore, listen as your guide describes how the Nabateans sculpted the buildings, and learn how they mastered the harsh desert conditions to make their lives here. After approximately two hours of exploring, enjoy free time. Later, return to Petra’s entrance and rejoin your private vehicle and driver, at which point you'll journey back to Amman, where your day trip ends with a hotel drop-off.
Know before you go
• Confirmation will be received at time of booking
• For clients holding a Jordan Pass, the corresponding entrance fees to be returned directly in destination
• Pickup and drop-off from Amman Queen Alia International Airport available by request for lay over day tour
• Local SIM cards and Wi-Fi are available upon request and can be subject to a small additional charge, approximately $20 USD. Prices subject to change by the communication company
• Tours with lunch: most local tourist restaurants in Jordan are non-alcoholic
• Please wear comfortable shoes and bring a sunhat
• Tour activities are provided in English. French and Spanish tours available upon request